Monday, August 17, 2009

New Releases for August 18th, or the good ship Vidéothèque sails to bluer waters!

click on this flyer for larger view!







NEW RELEASES:

Gomorrah: I like the mob. I was actually involved in the mob until they cut off my thumbs. Now it's a bit more difficult for me to type because I can no longer hit the space bar with my thumb. Well, anywhoooo, if you're tired of goofy mafia movies like The Departed, here's the real deal! Guns, women, drugs, prostitution, corrupted officials, you name it. I'm going to assume that all these things are in the movie based on the cover alone! Jeez, I want to see this! You should come and rent it and invite me over to your place. I'd love to see it!

The Garden: We all should know that L.A. county government is pretty corrupt, but for those who hate picking up newspapers, we just got this documentary about the destruction of the South Central Garden. Watch how most people didn't care about the garden until they were going to tear it down and about how contractors squander millions of dollars. Also, it has my hero Zach De La Rocha rap about things I don't understand. So I don't know much about him, but I know that he really, REALLY likes Glengarry Glenross so much in fact that he owns his own copy. He's a pretty cool dude.

Surveillance: See the baby from Eraserhead direct her second film. I don't know much about this, but maaaaan has Bill Pullman aged! Makes me feel all depressed like inside.

Tyson: I thought this was going to be a delicious documentary on Tyson® brand chicken nuggets, but it turned out to be about Mike Tyson. What a shame. You can't eat Mike Tyson! And c'mon, Mike Tyson is nowhere near as controversial as Tyson®. Just compare their respective Wikipedia articles! C'mon James Toback! Stay with the times! Mike Tyson is sooooo 1998...

OTHER NEW RELEASES AND NEW INVENTORY:

Apres Lui (France, w/C. Deneuve)
Arizona Colt Returns
Che Part.2
Cloud 9 (Germany)
Dexter S.3
Eagles Over London
Fear[s] of the Dark (animation)
Full Grown Man (American Indie)
Gandhi (Blu-Ray)
Gossip Girl S.2
Hansel & Gretel (Korea)
Harvard Beats Yale 29-29
Hazard
Hello Goodbye (France, w/F. Ardant, G. Depardieu)
Inventing Cuisine series
Island of the Fishman
Kagemusha (Blu-Ray)
Moscow Belgium (Belgium)
Parlez-Moi de la Pluie (Let it Rain) (France, dir. Agnès Jaoui)
Partners in Crime (France, w/André Dusollier)
Playtime (Blu-Ray) (!)
Somers Town (UK, dir. Shane Meadows "This is England")

BLOG PICK OF THE WEEK:

So I decided to try out this new thing on the blog. I'm going to pick one movie I saw during the week and talk about why you should see it. Why? Because I love you and want you to see it.

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin: I'm not sure how many Los Angeles natives read this blog, but when I was a kid, KTLA use to play either classic kung-fu movies or Three Stooges shorts all night. I'd get a bowl of late night Froot-Loops, sit in front of the TV with my jammies and watch these all night with my pop. Recently, I saw "Shaolin Soccer" and thought it was a blast. The film influenced me to get in touch with my kung-fu loving roots and decided to start with this Shaw Brothers classic. Everything from the soundtrack, acting, sound effects, and cinematography sold me on this film. Gordon Liu (now famous for his double roles in Kill Bill) plays a student who has everyone that he loves slaughtered cruelly by corrupt government officials (Is this a bit of anti-cultural revolution commentary?). He decides that brains aren't enough and wants to learn the ways of kung-fu to smite his foes. Special features are pretty nice with a commentary by Wu-Tang Clansmen, the RZA. Yes, it's not high art and doesn't question our mortality like Bergman or criticize contemporary society like Fellini, but if you like ol' fashioned choreographed fighting and awesome stunts, then this one hits the spot!


www.vidtheque.com
blogspot.vidtheque.com



MORAL OF THE WEEK:
If you're a carnivore (such as myself), don't buy Tyson® brand products. Not only do they taste bad, but it hurts the farming industry and is sending us back to the days of The Jungle! You want that!? Huh!? I didn't think so, pal!

No comments:

Post a Comment