Wednesday, December 22, 2004

12:21

After a lifetime of Tuesdays, I, as a post-humous French new wave icon, have never been so pleased with the bevy of DVDs to behold this Tuesday. Allow me to unintentionally steal my compatriot's thunder and tell you about them before this rotten commercialized holiday where the man tries to keep us down by encouraging us to compile more clutter in our lives takes the wind out of my sails to a point where it's no longer even fun to write run-on sentences anymore.

DANNY DECKCHAIR - I got a Christmas card from Danny. I didn't get him anything. He in turn has, I don't know, flown away on a deckchair or something. Whenever I see commercials for comedies with lanky guys with long hair I immediately think of Yahoo Serious, which in turn causes me to start thinking about ageism in Hollywood, and my own mortality, which ultimately ends up depressing me, which is not what I want in a comedy. But hey! Merry Christmas!

De-Lovely: My compatriot informed me that this was named after a Cassavetes film. I tried to verify this on IMDB, but failed to do so. Thus, I am inclined to believe him. So for all you Cassavetes lovers come grab this spin-off of A Woman Under the Influence. I hear it's great. Hype!: This doc on the Seattle "Grunge" music scene from waaaay back in the 90's is finally out on DVD. Has more Melvins and Gas Huffer than Pearl Jam and Nirvana, but don't get your panties in a bunch. Like any good hipster, you have to embrace the lesser-known artists, so you should be all over this shit. The Walkabouts, Supersuckers, 7 Year Bitch, The Mono Men. Who? Oh, I pity yee ill-informed one.

The Manchurian Candidate: Jonathan Demme is about this close to topping Soderbergh in the remake genre. Fresh off his kilter-The Truth About Charlie-Demme directs Denzel and Meryl Streep in this political thrilla! Michael Moore guests as soldier sent to war and forced to clean up his hygiene. Rent this one, you'll help support the underrated Jeffrey Wright.

Napoleon Dynamite: Dy-NO-mite!! C'mon, you were bound to know some jackass was going to do that. I say better that then, "Gosh!" Goshdamn you hipsters, your flippin' movie is out this week. But it's rather heavy on the weak sauce. Now don't get all pissy, what I mean is the production of the disc looks rather dumpy. It's one of those "double-sided" ones. Anyways, comes with a few features, quirkiness, and Pedro. Everybody wants a Pedro.

Shaun of the Dead: The Videothequian Caucus was this week, and we came to the conclusion that this just might tickle your fancy slightly more than the aforementioned film above. Shaun keeps gettin C-blocked by the zombies as he tries to play his mojo. And trust me, that's the worst of all blocks. by a zombie! Anyways, try this one, jump in and get your feet wet...with blood!! 2046 &

The House of Flying Daggers: Huh you say? Yes, we do have these. If you don't want to take out a second mortgage at the theater, then spend 4 bucks renting it from us.

And 2046 is Wong Kar-Wai's follow up to 2000's beautiful "In the Mood for Love." Good luck trying to find this at No-late-fee Lackluster, we are one of few who carry this bitch. Come and get it! That's it.

Noticebly missing from this week: King Arthur, Two Brothers, and The Thunderbirds. *Cough* I'm sorry, I'm allergic to crap. oops...

*********************** As my fellow co-worker has stated, we are cluttering our lives with useless clutter, and making our lives just a jumbled mess. When you get more junk in your closet you've known you've done a good job. So with that being said, we would like to add to your clutter and announce the things we have for sale, just in case your loved ones might go on record with one of these items. They are: New and Used DVDs, Posters, Box Sets, T-shirts, All-Region DVD Players (only 89.99!!), Candy, Rent Certs and Gift Certs. And I swear this will be the last I ever mention it.

So, have a great weekend, be safe, be merry, and come by, we've got plenty of mistletoe to go around.

www.vidtheque.com

No comments:

Post a Comment