Thursday, June 19, 2008

I’ll be Bill Murray and you’ll be everyone else.

A lotta, lotta people say to me, they say, "Hey, Phillip, what did you do for Father's Day weekend?"

Well, my answer to that is simple, this past Friday was the manditory staff softball game. I was really disappointed because everybody on my team kept dropping the ball so we lost. At one point someone threw a cooler filled with Izze across the field and yelled, "Quit dropping the ball!"

Then the next day I went bowling with my girlfriend 'cause we are in a bowling league. At one point, when it was my turn to bowl she told me that she was gonna invite me to her wedding and then as she kept talking it dawned on me that she's going to marry her other boyfriend. I was so in shock that I dropped my ball ... in the gutter. She said, "Your ball is in the gutter." Then I took her ball, went to the front entrance, and threw it out the door and into the parking lot and yelled, "At least I have a ball!"

Then I sent my dad a homemade card that said, "Hey, Happy Father's Day, even though you dropped the ball."

NEW RELEASES 06/14

BE KIND REWIND:
There is a subgenre of movies where a building is going to get demolished and the protagonists have to save it from evil developers and in most cases they're successful, for example, "Batteries Not Included," and "Harley Davidson & the Man," and now "Be Kind Rewind." Basically, it's a fairy tale. It's hard for me to pass judgment on a benevolent, well-meaning French man like Michel Gondry, so I won't poo-pooh on this one. I will just say, it pays to be benevolent and well-meaning, 'cause then you can make movies like this and people won't hate you. At least people who like benevolence, anyway.

CARAMEL:
If you liked "Beauty Shop" starring Queen Latifah, this Lebanese film about 5 women in a Beirut beauty salon will wake up your heart ... if that's possible.

CHAOS THEORY: Every now and then you might come across an actor like say, Ryan Reynolds and think to yourself, "Self, this guy has the comedic timing of Chevy Chase in the early 80s," and so you start watching everything they do and then after a couple years, rather than doing run-of-the-mill big budget movies they start doing low budget independent films that make you wish the script had been through a few more rewrites. But if you can relate to a guy who's life is in shambles (I can!!!) you might enjoy this.

CLASSE TOUS RISQUES: When I was in high school I tous a risques every time I ditched classe. That's how I got to where I am today. No seriously. Claude Sautet. French 60s. Mafia. Criterion. No seriously. Crime doesn't pay. Stay in school. Seriously.

FOOL'S GOLD:
Matthew McConaughey and Jennifer Lopez star in this delightful romantic comedy about a wedding planner who falls in love with the groom in the biggest wedding of her career ... oh, wait. Sorry.
Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson star in this delightful romantic comedy about an advertising executive who bets he can make a woman fall in love with him in 10 days and he meets a woman researching an article called, "How to lose a guy..." oh, wait. Sorry. Matthew McConaughey and Sarah Jessica Parker star in this delightful romantic comedy about a thirtysomething slacker who is set up with his dream girl by his parents who want him to move out ... oh, wait. I give up. I accidentally watched a movie the other day that had Matthew McConaughey in it and as I was watching him I started to think that he looked like the Mona Lisa and then thinking that started to ruin the movie for me. Not that the movie wasn't ruined anyway. But if you want to watch a Matthew McConaughey that doesn't put me in a rage watch "13 Conversations About One Thing," but only after you've watched "Fool's Gold" 'cause there are people in bathing suits on the cover.

MY MOM'S NEW BOYFRIEND: I read the synopsis on the back of this movie and it sounds like something I would write. That's code for: crap. I think Colin Hanks stars as a 12-year-old FBI Agent, kind of like Agent Cody Banks and his mom starts dating Antonio Bandaris who is a guy who young Cody Banks is surveilling and then hijinx ensue. Just thinking about it depresses me.

RAILS AND TIES:
Kevin Bacon stars as Kevin Bacon in this sequel to "Footloose" where Kevin Bacon runs over this kid's mom with a train and somehow the kid is able to find him what with the six degrees of separation and all and so he yells at Kevin Bacon and then they cry and become fast friends and go on to run over other people with trains. I made up the last part about running over other people with trains. Running people over with trains is not good, it squishes them to pieces, which is not good for living peoples. It's like Mr. Miyagi once said, "You do Karate guess-so. Squish just like grape."

OTHER RECENT RELEASES:
Bell, Book and Candle
Bleacher Bums
The Great Outdoors
Ian Whitcomb on TV (1965-1986)
Jezebel
Stanley's Gig
Wild in the Streets + Gas-s-s-s

www.vidtheque.com

No comments:

Post a Comment