Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Detective!

No, I've changed my mind again.

This week I learned a very, important and valuable life lesson. I was driving through Hollister when I saw the writing on the wall. It said, "Life is just ponys and rainbows." I think this person makes a good point.

I also think it's important to keep in mind when you watch the Olympics that there are no pony or rainbow competitions and I think because of this, the Olympics should be boycotted and instead you should cram discs of plastic in your DVD players. And when I say cram, I mean, handle them gently by the edges.

NEW RELEASES 08/12:

Larisa Shepitko: Eclipse Series 11: THE ASCENT: This war movie from 1977, (no, no, not "Star Wars,") is part of the latest Eclipse series and is about two Soviet partisans taking a voyage deep into their souls. When taking a voyage deep into your soul, I think it's important to bring plenty of water and if possible, a snack; something light and nutritious, like granola.

BRAND UPON THE BRAIN!: Criterion's taken it upon themselves to release this film by Guy Madden where he goes back to his boyhood home and memories ensue. I didn't watch this 'cause I have a bad attitude and now I'm sort of starting to regret not watching it 'cause it sounds like it makes "The Weight of Water" look like "Newsies."

CJ7: Stephen Chow gives E.T. a run for his money in this magical sci-fi childrens film, which will have your kid punching walls because he or she doesn't understand Cantonese and can't read well enough to watch a subtitled film. Frustrate your kids with this gem. Do it now!

THE ORANGE THIEF: I saw the cover of this movie. Because of the way the people on the cover were mugging for the camera, I thought it was a documentary about real orange thieves and it kind of looked like Tragic Kingdom, so I got really excited, excited for the DVD, but now I'm realizing it's an Italian comedy about made up fruit thieves, so now I don't know. But if you watched "The Drugstore Cowboy" and thought to yourself, "Mang, this film is really good but I wish they were stealing fruit instead of pharmaceuticals," this film will probably be up your alley like no tomorrow.


POISONED BY POLONIUM: THE LITVINENKO FILE: My compatriot Chuck was asking me what Polonium was and I told her that it was the stuff that Marty needed to get back to the future, but then I decided to look it up, which I did and I wasn't too far off, it's radioactive, so I can only assume it's best to avoid ingesting it, which makes this title all the more exciting. Get excited for this DVD!

THE SEARCH FOR JOHN GISSING: Sometimes when movies are released on DVD and the year it was made kind of doesn't really correspond with the year it was released, it's kind of a sign, I think. Like this diamond in the rough from Mike Binder, made in 2001, out on DVD right now! Get excited for the DVD! I like some movies that Mike Binder's directed. It's got Janine Garafolo in it, she's great. It's also got Alan Rickman and I like when he falls backward from that high building in "Die Hard," but this movie, I don't know, man, I just do not know.

SMART PEOPLE: This is the movie I probably should've watched instead of "The Search for John Gissing," but I skipped it 'cause I've had Sarah Jessica Parker-lash ever since "Square Pegs." My man Dennis Quaid and Ellen Page and Thomas Haden Church and Sarah Jessica Parker star in this comedy about jaded people who don't shave. That's why I'm thinking now I should've watched it 'cause I no doubt would've related as I never shave my pits or my legs.

SOUTH PARK - SEASON 11: I've only ever seen one episode of "South Park" which ruined a family vacation I was on and also the "Bigger, Longer, and Uncut" movie. But what I've seen I've liked 'cause I find that watching it is a voyage deep into the soul.

Larisa Shepitko: Eclipse Series 11: WINGS: That's right! The "Cheers" spin-off starring Thomas Haden Church is finally out on DVD! Get excited for the DVD! Psyche! It's actually another Russian war movie by Larisa Shepitko. Come get your war on!

THE WIRE - SEASON 5: You asked for it now you're gonna get it! I haven't seen this show because I feel like I'm living it 'cause I feel like every person I encounter is wearing a wire 'cause I'm what the kids these days are calling a paranoid schizophrenic. That's probably not kind of me to say 'cause it makes fun of paranoid schizophrenics, but I think if a paranoid schizophrenic accuses you of making fun of them, you can just play it off by telling them that they're paranoid.


ALSO AVAILABLE:
The Beauty of Ireland

Code Monkeys - Season 1
Days and Clouds
Get Smart - Season 1
The Lawrence Jordan Album
Living with Ed - Season 1
Lost and Found: The Harry Langdon Collection
Riding the Rails
Sunday Morning Funnies: Barney Google and Snuffy Smith + Krazy Kat + Hagar the Horrible + Flash Gordon
The Wayward Cloud


RECOMMENDATIONS:

As usual, the recommended sections continue to trickle in ever-so subtly:

France Gall's pix MON COEUR QUI BAT...: Again, I took three years of French 1 so I know what this means, "My heart is with bat," so clearly she went and saw "The Dark Knight" and loved it. In this section you will find such titles as "A Man and a Woman," "Brief Encounter," "Drama Mex," and "In the Mood for Love."

www.vidtheque.com

...ponys and rainbows.

No comments:

Post a Comment