Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I say we eat crumpets and tea.

You see um, yeah, the thing is this, after a long hard week of being micromanaged and belittled by my peers, I like to take a day off and relax and fuggitaboutit.

So, yesterday, I slept in late and then watched some old Kyle Petty races on ESPN Classic, which is a really great channel 'cause I know something I often think about when watching sports is, "Man, I sure hope to see a rerun of this someday!"

After that, I spent the day cruisin' down Ventura Boulevard in my Cadillac, listening to Tom Petty and the Heart Breakers. For dinner I stopped in the drive-thru at Naugles - actually I drove through it.

Then I went back to my Ranch style home where I watched a double-feature of Lori Petty movies I picked up at the 'Theque: "Tank Girl," and "Point Break."

NEW RELEASES 11/11:

I would just like to take this moment to thank all the Vets, who over the years have cared for my pets. The Vet who sewed the tail back on my cat after it slept the night in the car engine to stay warm one winter and then when we got in the car to go to school and work the next morning turned on the engine and cat fur went everywhere and then the cat ran in the backyard without a tail and then my mom put the tail in a Ziplock bag and my sister got the cat and we brought the cat to you and you sewed it up. And also the vet who years later put that cat, and our other cat, and our dog to sleep. Thanks Vets! Keep up the good work.

THE BOYS IN THE BAND: William Friedkin turns up the heat in this 1970 film based on the Broadway play of the same name. My associate saw this film and loved it. He was pleasantly surprised and states that it predates home boy doing films depicting action and violence. And who really needs action and violence? I sure don't. I have enough of that at home.

CAMP DE THIAROYE: African filmmaker Ousmane Sembene makes Eisenstein's "Odessa Steps" look like "Newsies" in this film where "a dispute over petty regulations" "escalates into a full-scale rebellion." I like rebellion, I've seen "Rebel Without a Cause" and I like the Billy Idol, so this film is sure to delight!

THE GENERAL: I don't know a single thing about growing my own food, but I have seen this 1927 comedy about a crazy locomotive. You might even say that it is in loco motion. You should do the Loco-motion by watching this film which makes "The Train" starring Burt Lancaster look like a slow ride to grandma's house. No really. I was reading about this film on the ... uh ... intuhnet and it says that it was a box office disaster. What was wrong with your ancestors that they weren't even going to see this? I mean, they didn't even have ... uh ... televisions back then!

HELLBOY II: THE GOLDEN ARMY: I don't know why I haven't seen this - I'm like your ancestors in 1927 - 'cause this is usually the sort of overblown spectacle I respond to. This movie was actually great cause for confusion for me 'cause when it came out in the theater I was positive that it was out on DVD already, but I think that for some reason, I thought the DVD release of the first "Hellboy" was the release of "Hellboy II" in the theaters when in reality it was really the release of the first "Hellboy" on DVD.

For some reason whenever I think of "Hellboy" I think of "Forrest Gump;" I think 'cause I used to confuse Ron Perlman with Steve Tisch who produced "Forrest Gump," so deep down inside I feel like a producer of "Forrest Gump" is Hellboy.

"Hellboy II: The Golden Army" makes both "Elizabeth: The Golden Age" and "The Golden Child" combined look like "Newsies" when Hellboy and a large guppy and the girl from "Cruel Intentions" save humankind from ... uh ... a golden army, I'm guessing.

KEN RUSSELL AT THE BBC: You know him, you love him, now you can see movies he made for the BBC in the 60's. One of my associates saw and loved "Elgar". Also available on this set is "The Debussy Film," "Always on Sunday," "Isadora: The Biggest Dance in the World," "Dante's Inferno," and "Song of Summer."

MISTER FOE: This is one of those movies where a character has a convenient name just to facilitate the purposes of a clever title, i.e.: "Saving Grace," "The Savages," etc. What a lot of people don't know is that this is actually the sequel to "Billy Elliot." Billy Elliot's mother commits suicide, so what he does, is he starts acting out and has a strange romance. But between you and me, what romance isn't strange?

NATHALIE GRANGER: A lot of people don't know this, but this is actually the prequel to "Billy Elliot" where we see what led to his mom's suicide. If you like the breakfast scene in "Risky Business" you'll be all over this movie like white on rice.

ROBERTO ROSSELLINI: DIRECTOR'S SERIES: A lot of people don't know this, but Roberto Rossellini is a director. I think I've seen some of his stuff and I liked it, "Open City" and whatnot. Whatnot being my favorite. In this set you'll find "Dov'E La Liberta...?" and "Era Notte A Roma."

STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS: If you're at all like me, you probably waited in line for the premiere of Episodes 1-3 of "Star Wars" and as the end credits rolled on the end of the third one, you probably said to yourself, "Know what the world needs, some more of that! Only animated!" Now our wishes have come true with this film that features more of that, only animated.

SUKIYAKI WESTERN DJANGO: I really wanted to see this movie because it says it's an epic tale of blood, lust and greed, but then due to someone else's lust and greed and my blood, I was unable to watch it. Funny how that works out, the whole greed thing. I highly advocate watching this and studying the ol' greed because, believe you me, it's something you don't want to be on the wrong side of. It's that old win/lose mentality that we all know and love. Takashi Miike directs a lot of people I don't know by name and Quentin Tarantino who reprises his role from "Desperado."

TRACEY ULLMAN'S STATE OF THE UNION - SEASON 1: I like Tracey Ullman, I don't care what you say. She gave "The Simpsons" their start and she isn't afraid to speak her mind about the Royal Family as she's seen doing in "The Queen" and best of all she owns a lot of different disguises, which is a bonus in the cinematic arts.

WALT DISNEY TREASURES: THE CHRONOLOGICAL DONALD, VOL. 4 - 1951-1961: This is the fourth film in Disney's epic vomiting vault of old stuffs, in this set you have a whole other decade of Donald stuffs. I always related with Donald Duck 'cause of his speech impediment and particularly right now as he rarely had on pants, if ever.

WOULD I LIE TO YOU 2: If you haven't seen the first "Would I Lie to You" we have a lot in common and should probably hang out sometime. Jose Garcia makes "Sixteen Candles" look like "90210" on acid when he borrows someone's Rolls Royce and sparks fly in this French language comedy.

ALSO AVAILABLE:
The Caine Mutiny
Cinema, Aspirins and Vultures
David Holzman's Diary
Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed
La Sierra
The Last Voyage
Manila By Night (City After Dark)
Mother, Sister, Daughter
My Best Friend's Wedding
My Girlfriend's Wedding
The Shipping News + The Cider House Rules
Sold Out: A Threevening With Kevin Smith
South Central
The Spirit of St. Louis
Tightrope
Tinker Bell
Whatever You Say

RECOMMENDED SECTIONS:

As with the changing of the seasons so are the recommended sections at the 'Theque.

Democracy at Work: Like a Barack Obama supporter in shock, this section lingers like as if a rug of purpose were pulled out from under it and now it doesn't know where to go. In this section you'll find a plethora of the ol' political docs. And stay tuned as in a couple weeks when we might have a section for the ol' Thanksgiving.

Speaking of which...

Grace's pix Happy Thankstaking: You see it's "taking" rather than "giving." Like ... uh ... people. Are you Caucasian? Do you get an epinephrine rush from hating things? Why not hate yourself based solely on your skin color? That's what I'm going to do when I enjoy titles from this fine section such as "Distorted Morality," "Burn!" "Chingachgook:The Great Snake," and many more, even though my family didn't emigrate here until about 330 years after Squanto bailed the Pilgrims out of their lack of preparedness during a time when there was no such thing as REI.

Mario's pix Ball-Busters: Mario's section still remains as he is a busy working man and busy working for the man so he doesn't have the luxury of switching up his section every other day like the rest of the staff at the 'Theque. In here you'll find a plethora of titles where people are busting other peoples' balls, or even where whales are busting peoples' balls, like "Moby Dick."

Marky Mark's pix Fight Like a Gentleman: Marky Mark has grown weary of people in his neighborhood who settle their disputes via shootouts, so he's trying to spread the good word about the ol' fist fight with titles like "Rocky" and "An Officer and a Gentleman."

Martina's pix Champagne Chillers: Martina still has her old Halloween sign up, but the movies are a bit less Halloweeny, which is good considering Halloween's over, with movies like "Watership Down," "Stalker," and "Solaris."

Charlotte's pix Salut, Maurice Ronet!: It's funny, I was talking to one of my associates earlier today about someone named Maurice. Maurice makes all other actors, directors, and writers look like "Newsies" in this section which features films featuring Maurice Ronet.

Rick's pix Talk Like the Animals: Gobble! Gobble!: Rick's got talking animals on the brain and now he's foisting that upon you, just in time to give you the creeps when you put that turkey in the oven, with this fine section featuring films which feature movies featuring animals who talk, featuring such titles as "Chicken Run," "Creature Comforts," and "Fritz the Cat."


...and remember, we only have one life in which to hate each other so let's make the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment