Monday, April 20, 2009

New Releases for April 21st, or Hachi Machi!

When I was taking arts 'n' crafts in elementary school I loved writing poetry. I'm a sentimental sort of guy, so I decided to write a poem in the style I would've writen it in elementary school. Enjoy! (This also gives me a chance to use big words I never use)

Voluptious
Idiosyncratic
Dynamic
Emotional
Ostentatious
Tender
Heart-warming
Eloquent
Quintessential
Ubiquitous
Electric
NEW RELEASES: Battlestar Galactica: Caprica: I remember when sci-fi was made for those select few who had no problem being anti-social and being comfortable with the fact they'll never touch the skin of someone of the opposite sex. Now all the sudden sci-fi is the i"t" thing. It's what's happening. It's what all the hipsters and beatniks are talking about. I blame the dumb appeal of geek chic, but I like to blame others; I'm not one to take responsibility (that's probably why the government took my children away). Now it doesn't just stop with the Battlestar Galactica with Mr. Edward James Olmos. Now we have a spin-off. There was an ad inside the case saying how it's not only a spinoff movie, but it's going to be a whole new series. I'm sure all the fans of the show are going to go nuts over this, so I shouldn't even describe it (but when do I describe the movie?).

Frost/Nixon: Ol' man Nixon just won't go away. You figure he's someone the people of America would've pushed him out of our collective memory. Off the top of my head, I can think of Nixon in "All the President's Men", "Dick", "Secret Honor", "Nixon", and "The Assassination of Richard Nixon", not to mention the countless parodies of him in episodes of "The Simpsons". Too much of ol' Tricky Dick if ya ask me! Jeez, I hope it doesn't end up this way with Bush. "W" was bad enough! We need more movies about Grover Cleveland, I say!

Glass: A Portrait of Philip in Twelve Parts: Philip Glass is interesting. He's worked with people as diverse as John Cage, David Bowie, Leonard Cohen, and Errol Morris. Does that make his music good? Well, taste is subjective...

Notorious: At first I though this was a hip-hop version of the Hitchcock remake, and instead of the U.S. versus the Nazis, this would be the Crips versus the Bloods. I was right, to an extent. I haven't seen this film, but something tells me it would make a great double-feature with "Biggie & Tupac", Nick Broomfield's excellent documentary about the conspiracy behind their murders.

The Pervert's Guide to Cinema: At last! A guide to find all the sexy moments in movies! Radical! Wait... what? Who's this bearded "Zizek" fellow and where are my ta-ta's? Wait, he's a philosopher? Whadda ya mean the title is being ironic? Damn you, DVD! Fooled again!

Science is Fiction: 23 Films by Jean Painleve: I can now say, the pigeon, an animal I once hated with a passion, I now admire with an unending love. Mine eyes were open curtorsy of Mr. Jean Painleve, a filmmaker/scientist/surrealist, who, in these twenty-three short films, showed me the beauty behind the common street pigeon, the bat, the pregnant male seahorse, and the ordeals of being a shrimp. I hope you rent this and it opens your eyes in an almost religious experience. I know mine was.

The Wrestler: I think I should confess something. When I was a kid, I was the typical boy in the sense that I loved wrestling. I don't mean real wrestling. I mean, Macho Man Randy Savage kind of wrestling. I remember taking out my SNES and playing Wrestlemania afterschool. I remember all the wrestlers like Doink, Yokozuna, Bret Hart, The Undertaker, and so on. I even remember when each wrestler had their own manager, too. Specifically, I remember The Undertaker's manager was Paul Bearer, who had a tremendous falceto. Now, we've grown up, and so have the wrestlers. Apparently, when you grow up, all the fun out of wrestling dies with age. Or so this film leads me to believe. Also, this is the only film that plays "Round and Round" by Rat Attack. Also, Marisa Tomei walks around topless have the time, so for you perverts, there's something for you, too.

MORE NEW RELEASES:
The 10th Kingdom
America Betrayed
The Country Teacher
Frost/Nixon (Blu)
J'Accuse
Kavanagh Q.C.: Mute of Malice
The Last Word
The Little Mermaid II
Minnie & Moskovitz
Nickelodeon/The Last Picture Show
Only the Valian
Sin City (Blu)
The Wages of Fear (Blu)
The Wrestler (Blu)

RECOMMENDED SECTIONS:

Mark A's Dancing With Myself: Mark has been forgetting to take his schizophrenia medicine, so he's constanly thinking he has a twin named Kram coming after him. I just think that guy is crazy! Well, in a state of schizophrenic paranoia, he made a section devote to movies where characters either have alter-egos or twins; movies like "Dead Ringers", "The Double Life of Veronique", or " New York Minute".

GRACE AGAINST AIDS:

Ms. Gleason is continuing her fight against AIDS. While she trains for the big marathon, now may be a good time to pick up a donation form and support her fight against AIDS! She also has a little jug on the counter just asking for your kind donations. Will you do this jug some honor and donate your loose change!?

VIDEOTHEQUE MOVIE TRIVIA:

What do the following films have in common:
John Ford's "The Horse Solider"
John Huston's "The Red Badge of Courage"
Sergio Leone's "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"
Buster Keaton's "The General"
D.W. Griffith's "The Birth of a Nation"

Now the question. Do you win a prize. You do, sort of. You know you have the gift to pull movie trivia out of your head, and we all know that's the greatest gift of all.


WE LOVE YOU, BUT WE NEED TO GET BACK TO WORK:

Sayonara!

www.vidtheque.com

MORAL OF THE WEEK:
Love is a many splendored thing. Splendored things tend to cost money. Unless you have the money, I wouldn't fall in love any time soon!

It's hot as a mofo out there, so come in and enjoy our refreshing air conditioning unit!

No comments:

Post a Comment