Tuesday, September 1, 2009

New Releases for September 1st, or I can't stand the heat. I can't stand it.

Man, I used to like fire. I remember having barbecues, heating water, breathing fire, lighting fireworks, burning hair, etc. Now it's become my worst enemy.

The last week has been nothing but smoky skies and ash. Two firemen have died and we're now in a state of emergency.

I'm glad I have Videotheque at times like this. It has air conditioning to clean up the smoky air and lets me see movies so I don't have to watch constant updates on TV about how the fire isn't getting better.

Thank you Videotheque.

NEW RELEASES:

Earth:
"Better than March of the Penguins" - Pete Hammond, Hollywood.com
"What!?" - Me, vidtheque.com

Good Dick: Oh look! An other indie movie with a hand drawn cover! It's about a customer at a videostore (It's Cinefile, our buddies out on the westside) who falls in love with one of the clerks who works there. Anyone who knows us video store clerks know we are an uncompassionate bunch and lack the emotion of love. These filmmakers obviously didn't do their research!

Sin Nombre: My whole life I've been surrounded by people very similar to the movie. I've had friends, family, and coworkers who've experienced the trouble of coming to America illegally to make an honest buck. I wanted to see this film, but I didn't for some reason or an other. I did have a friend who saw it (both his parents were from Guatemala, Honduras' neighbor) and he was nuts about it.

State of Play: My dawg Russell Crowe plays an American in this remake of the BBC mini-series of the same name. It's written by my other homeboy Tony Gilroy and features a plot about a major government conspiracy. Aaaahhhh yeeeaaah!

Sugar: There's been a considerable drought of baseball movies. The creative team behind Half Nelson thought so too, so they made this drama about the perils of a gifted baseball player from the Dominican Republic. I was a little sad when it turned out it wasn't about actual sugar. When I discovered that, I went to Buster's and got a mint and chip ice cream instead.

OTHER NEW RELEASE AND NEW INVENTORY:

Bad Boy Bubby (Blu-Ray)
Becoming Charley Chase (Silent)
Earth (DVD, Blu-Ray)
Homeboy (Mickey Rourke, Christopher Walken, '88)
Metalocalypse S.1, S.2
Rescue Me S.5 V.1
State of Play (Blu-Ray)
Stuff Happens with Bill Nye
The Toe Tactic (American Indie)
Unwigged & Unplugged Live (Spinal Tap reunites)

BLOG PICK OF THE WEEK:

Hard Boiled:
Seeing this depresses me. Not because it's a bad movie. On the contrary: it's one of the greatest action movies ever. What depresses me is that John Woo left Hong Kong only to make Hollywood dreck. Before action movies had to be nothing but quick action and quick cuts, you have men like John Woo combining Douglas Sirk melodrama with the slow-motion violence of Peckinpah to turn the shoot-out into a bloody ballet. Chow-Yun Fat and Tony Leung not only add great acting to the film, but can pull off the whole genre well. See how they can handle minute long shots of them running through hospital corridors, timing their shots perfectly while they choreograph their way around.

THAT IT!:

www.vidtheque.com
vidtheque.blogspot.com

MORAL OF THE WEEK:
Don't smoke around dry brush. I saw some idiot doing it on a hiking trail last Thursday. Things like this start the fires that turn our humble hiking trails into a state of emergency.

No comments:

Post a Comment