Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Guess what guys, it’s time to embrace the horror!

When I'm at work, I'm usually getting psychologically abused by coworkers. When I'm not at work, I'm usually getting psychologically abused by my friends. Because of that, there's only one time each week, for a half an hour, including commercials, where I get to get away from it all, and no I'm not talking about Cheers. I'm talking about "At the Movies" with Ebert & Roeper. I watched it all the time since I was just a young kid, only being psychologically abused by my family and kids at school. Just hearing the theme song alone makes me nostalgic.

So, this week, I unsuspectingly tuned in and that old theme song that used to get me misty had been replaced by something with a little less personality and Roeper and the guy standing in for Ebert had been replaced by some soulless automatons. I watched them review a couple movies and that's how I knew they had no souls because they were just going through the motions of what they've heard other reviewers say about other movies.

Then the worst part was when they reviewed "Babylon AD" they had a panel of three more soulless automatons piped in via satellite and they actually argued their opinions as fact. They were really fighting over who's opinion of a Vin Diesel movie was more valid. R.I.P. "At the Movies." Way to blow it, Buena Vista.

NEW RELEASES 09/09:

BABY MAMA: Do you remember the time when "Deep Impact" and "Armageddon" came out. Like Paramount heard that "Armageddon" was being made so they rushed to make a film on the same topic and get it out before "Armageddon." Such is the case with "Juno" and "Baby Mama." Diablo Cody heard that Tina Fey and Amy Poehler were making a movie about a surrogate mother and so she rushed to make "Juno" to come out first. Which is better? I don't know, but "Baby Mama" is fun to quote moments before someone psychologically abuses you.

THE FALL: There used to be a time where when I wanted to watch "The Princess Bride" and look at Ben Osborne photographs and "The Princess Bride" was checked out, I was at a loss and just did not know what to do, but now when that happens, I can just watch this instead. Usually I'd say some more trite things, but Tarsem's my home boy and he seems to have some sort of cult following, so I fear that any dissent on my part, i.e.: having an opinion would result in an angry mob similar to the gang of critics on the newly revamped "At the Movies," so therefore I'm just gonna shut it. Unlike this guy...

HECKLER: A lot of people hate Jamie Kennedy for no good reason. I don't! I saw the "Scream" movies. He told the killer in those "Scream" movies to F off and therefore he is cool in my book. With this documentary, my opinion of him has really improved. When I watched this documentary I nearly shed a tear because it examines the prevalence of hate for hate's sake. It really makes you hate people who hate people. Kind of like the way I hate all the new critics on "At the Movies."

UGLY BETTY - SEASON 2: I haven't seen this show, but I hate it. I'm just kidding. I'm sort of imitating some people interviewed in "Heckler." I haven't seen this show, but I think it's good. I think a series that shows that it's okay to be ugly is good 'cause maybe if enough people start to realize that, I will get psychologically abused less.


ALSO AVAILABLE:

You might be thinking that the list of New Releases is kind of short. Is it on purpose? I don't know. Maybe I was in a hurry. Maybe I'm sad. Maybe I am going to go cry now.

The Bill Douglas Trilogy
Camp Rock
The Fall (Blu-ray)
Flying Leathernecks
The Forbidden Kingdom
Gesualdo - Death for Five Voices
The Good Fight: The Abraham Lincoln Brigade in the Spanish Civil War
Living With Ed - Season 2
Lord Jim
On the Ecstasy of Ski-Flying: Werner Herzog in Conversation with Karen Beckman
Outsourced
The Promotion
Street Kings
Sukiyaki Western Django
Sunshine Superman - The Journey of Donovan
Toys Are Us: A Revolution In Plastic
The Best of... What's Left of... Not Only... But Also...
Winston Churchill
Yes Minister

www.vidtheque.com

...and that's why it's not polite to stare.

No comments:

Post a Comment