Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Dead Amanda.

A lotta, lotta people say to me, they say, "Hey, Alsacia, what did you do for Labor Day?" Well, the sad fact is I actually did go into labor, but not in the way that pregnant women do. More like that guy in "Trainspotting" when he sequesters himself in his room with a bucket and some canned goods and starts seeing babies crawling across his ceiling. And funnily enough, it's still happening as we speak, so this edition of the blog will no doubt be a joy to read.

Also there was a UCLA game at the Rose Bowl this weekend, which is always fun, 'cause then Old Town Pasadena is like the end of that movie "1941." I particularly enjoy it 'cause it's nice to have a reminder that some things are more important than life itself, like sports for example.

NEW RELEASES 09/02:

BRIGHT LIGHTS, BIG CITY: So, I guess the big wigs in Hollywood who have special meetings trying to devise new ways to make the consumer feel taken advantage of, recently came to the conclusion that a good way to do that is to reissue DVDs faster than people can watch them, so this month there are 5,000 movies from the 80's getting reissued. One bright, shining aspect of this particular reissue is that it's widescreen whereas the previous one wasn't, so now you can enjoy Coma Baby in his widescreen splendor alongside Michael J. Fox's tiny frame.

DEREK: Some people think they're real great 'cause they know things. You can add Tilda Swinton to that list. She thinks she's so great 'cause she knows things about Derek Jarman, UK filmmaker and artist. I think because of the prevalence of naked men with bows and arrows on the back of the cover, that if you have requested the Kevin Costner film "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves," sometime in the past 5 and a half years, you should watch this instead and it'll probably be just as good, if not better.

DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES - SEASON 4: Every now and then I catch a couple of seconds of this show 'cause I'm not very quick in turning off my tube after watching AFV and Extreme Make-Over Home Edition. What I've picked up from those brief glimpses is that these women are very disappointed. That's why if they are real I think they should call me 'cause we could exchange notes on our disappointments. I get the feeling they're actually just desperate 'cause it sounds similar to Stepford.

THE FORSAKEN LAND: You asked for it, now you're gonna get it! There's a critic quote on the back of this film from Sri Lanka that says, "Moody," so now I'm thinking I should watch it 'cause I would relate with that. On the cover there is someone using someone else as a pillow, almost as if the director listens to Cornershop. I think that's good. I hate being used, but I think if you're gonna get used, getting used as a pillow would be okay, as far as getting used goes. Normally when I get used, I feel very disappointed.

LAGERFELD CONFIDENTIAL:
I know what you're thinking, you're thinking, "Man, I could go for a pint of lager!" But it's not like that at all. So you'll be very disappointed by this. The Lord of the Rings has nothing on this Karl Lagerfeld. It's a miracle he can bend his fingers with all those rings.

MARRIED LIFE: Sometimes it doesn't take much to make me very disappointed, like for example, watching the trailer for this movie makes me very disappointed. Chris Cooper and Pierce Brosnan have some sort of shenanigans with Rachel McAdams, who I believe is 12.

MOONTIDE: So, as it turns out, I guess they used to make movies as far back as the 1940's. Who knew?! The oldest movie I ever saw was "Back to the Future, part II!" Jean Gabin stars as a man who could've been a contender in this movie about drunken binges on the waterfront.

THE OFFICE - SEASON 4: I haven't really watched this show, but it seems some kids are wild about it. I did see "Office Space," though and I did relate a lot with the guy who's stapler gets stolen a lot, so if there's a character like that in this show, I should get into it, buddy!

ROAD HOUSE:
I know what you're thinking, you're thinking, "Oh, man, he was right about them reissuing movies more often than we can watch them, but Patrick Swayze is worth it!" Well, you're going to be very disappointed. In this 1948 noir from 1948, Ida Lupino and Richard Widmark, who were both alive in 1948 get it on!

THEN SHE FOUND ME:
If you're at all like me, something that was probably on your mind a lot when you used to watch "Mad About You" on a weekly basis is, "This Helen Hunt sure can act, but can she direct?" Well, be prepared to find out the answer to that question when you see this comedy, drama, romance.

WAR REQUIEM: If you enjoyed "Requiem for a Dream" and you love war, you'll probably enjoy this 1989 film by Derek Jarman where Tilda Swinton's pointy mug appears and she probably plays someone who knows a lot of stuff.

WATER LILIES: Are you like me? Do you have a penchant for pastels? I do! That's why I rented this, but as it turned out it was actually about the highly competative sport of synchronized swimming, so I was very disappointed.

OLD RELEASE:
60's Girls
924 Gilman Street
a/k/a Tommy Chong
A Big Hand for the Little Lady
The Breast Cancer Diaries
Call it Democracy
Dali in New York
The Desperate Hours
Dora the Explorer - Meet Diego
For Roseanna
The Future We Will Create: Inside the World of TED
A Gorgeous Girl Like Me
Heroes - Season 2
I'll Cry Tomorrow
The Innocent
Ladyhawke
Leonard Cohen: Under Review 1935-1977
The Life Before Her Eyes
Nicholas and Alexandra
Office Killer
The Original Kings of Comedy
The Power Of Community: How Cuba Survived Peak Oil
Purple Violets
Redbelt (Blu-ray)
Rich and Famous
Senso
Strange Culture
The Sum of All Fears
Tall Blond Man With One Black Shoe
Thursday
Up the Down Staircase
Virgin Territory
Waiting to Inhale
Wetback
What Happens in Vegas
Young & Restless in China

www.vidtheque.com

...and that's why every building should be equipped with a private room where people can go cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment