Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.

My spirit is permanently crushed, Bob, and if I don't take some sort of sleep aide I will never fall asleep. As a result I feel super uninspired, and writing a blog under these conditions would be paying it backward, so's today I walked around the 'theque in search of inspiration and I found it in the form of a French New Wave cinema. Then there was a moderate earthquake which made me feel like dancin'. Now all I wanna do is dance.

DANCE 07/29:


THE BAND'S VISIT: You asked for it, now you're gonna get it! An Egyptian police band pulls a "Doc Hollywood" in this PG-13 for brief strong language movie that is sure to make you laugh and make you cry and make you sit on the edge of your seat and read long philosophical speeches. Get it while you can!

COCAINE COWBOYS 2 - HUSTLIN' WITH THE GODMOTHER: Something I like in my documentaries is some objectivity. That's the only reason why I haven't seen either of the "Cocaine Cowboys" movies, only because based on first glance the cover causes me to picture the filmmakers in their spare time trying to decide whether to watch "Blow" or "Scarface" or play "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City" or do some backyard wrestling. But I could be wrong. It could be objective, wholesome and educational.

DOOMSDAY: Speaking of wholesome and educational, this dystopian remake of the Jean Renoir film "Rules of the Game" is by the bald director of "The Descent." I think it's good to judge men based on how much hair they have on their head 'cause it's something they have control over. They're choosin' it! Like "Rules of the Game" I stopped watching this shortly after the first rabbit got decimated. I don't know if it's 'cause of "Watership Down" or what, but there's something special about watching a rabbit get killed. 'Specially unsettling. I liked "The Descent" though and bald people can be cool, too, so you should watch this. No really. Watch it. Especially if you have a high tolerance for rabbit death and you are a fan of Eddie Valiant.

HAROLD AND KUMAR ESCAPE FROM GUANTANAMO BAY: I saw "Harold and Kumar Escape from White Castle to the Nile," under duress with a large group of people who all hate me. I don't think I would've watched it otherwise, but I was sort of glad I did because Doogie Howser is in it and I am a fan of Doogie Howser, but when I saw this coming out I didn't consider watching it, but then as I was watching other things I wasn't enjoying, I'd occasionally regret not watching it, especially because I did enjoy "The Road to Guantanamo". But then I spoke with a compatriot who said, in not so many words, that I shouldn't regret not watching it. But you should watch it. Your time is disposable.

NEVER BACK DOWN: This title was the mantra of all the kids in my junior high and college who made fun of me. Nobody made fun of me in high school. They were pretty civilized. That's why I love me some John Hughes. Anywhoo ... Do you want to watch movies about fighting?! I know I do! "Never Back Down" tells the tale of some movie producers struggling to get their movie out a few weeks before David Mamet's "Redbelt." But it's a win/win situation for people like me who like to only watch movies about fighting! Fighting is great! And productive, too!

SHINE A LIGHT: Martin Scorsese, the director of "Kundun" and "Age of Innocence" takes his rockstar movie director status up a notch by upstaging The Rolling Stones on their Bigger Bang Tour. My hope is that 30 years from now Wes Anderson will do the same.

SURFWISE: Worried about underpopulation? I know I am! Whenever I drive out to the beach, that's one of the first things on my mind. Especially when I am in Venice, the California one, I think to myselves, "Man, dude, there are just not enough people in this world." If this problem of underpopulation plagues your thoughts, too, maybe you should take a tip from Doc Paskowitz in the film "Surfwise" and quit your job, move into a trailer and procreate like mad and pull your kids out of school whenever they enroll and procreate in front of them and then later in life be confused as to why some of them are bitter.

DANCE:

I think I'm also sad and uninspired because I've been hanging out with a movie star recently and he's cool and all the girls like him and it's making me feel like a loser 'cause I'm not as cool as he is.

Atari Teenage Riot - Sixteen Years Of Video Material
Extasis
Forgotten Noir, Vol. 7: David Harding, Counterspy + Danger Zone + The Big Chase
Forgotten Noir, Vol. 8: Mr. District Attorney + Ringside + Hi-Jacked
Forgotten Noir, Vol. 9: Scotland Yard Inspector + Pier 23 + The Case of the Baby-Sitter
The Inglorious Bastards
Lynch (One)
The Marzipan Pig + Jazztime Tale
The Ruth Rendell Mysteries - Set 3
Spaced: The Complete Series
The Tender Trap
Wholphin No. 6

www.vidtheque.com

...so that's why it's probably better to hang out with people who aren't cooler than you.

No comments:

Post a Comment